Tuesday, October 05, 2004

The Journey Home

Part One The Journey Home

Oh so you want to play do ya? Fine, you stupid ass. Why else are you speeding by, then pulling in front and slowing down. Well, I like a good game of cat and mouse too. Here we go.

I pulled out into the passing lane and smiled at the blackened windows of the car that had just streaked by. After passing me, he pulled in front of my car, then slowed down to a speed slower than I had been travelling, only moments before. I knew that this was an invitation for a diversionary game of Cat and Mouse.

I passed him easily and returned to the middle lane. Seconds later he was back in front. Soon a third car joined in the fun. The first car and I were neck in neck with the newcomer close on his tail.

Cat and mouse chase on the 400 South, late on a Sunday night is just what was needed to break the monotony momentarily. Momentarily because just as the third car entered the game; me in the passing lane, they in the middle, I heard a familiar sound of rubber flopping madly against asphalt and I knew that I was out of the race.

Shit, fucking flat tire. Damn. Oh no, I'm too late to get into that Service Centre. Fuck. Oh well, this is better than miles from anything. At least I'm close enough to walk to it. I wonder if I still have that emergency road protection. Probably not dummy. How long was it good for anyway? Have you seen a bill from them in the past two or three years? You asshole. Fucking midnight on a Sunday night and here you are stuck on the side of the highway. You are so lucky that tire went down slowly like it did and you didn't lose control of the fucking car at those speeds. You need your head read. Why didn't you just go home after the baby shower at 5:00 pm. That would have been the smart thing to do. You would be all snuggly in bed right now, instead of sitting here like an idiot. Ok, what do I do? Who do I phone? Shit, where's the information on the emergency thing...here it is. There's the number. I'll just call and see what they say.

"Toyota Canada, please press 2 for Francais. Press 1 for English"

Friggin cell phone, where is the 1, why does the light on the fucking key pad turn off so quick?

"I'm sorry that was an incorrect selection. Please try again. Press 2 for Francais, press 1 for English."

Yeah, yeah, geez at this rate I'll be here at daybreak waiting to talk to someone. I'm glad it's not an emergency.

"I'm sorry to say but your coverage expired in April 2003."

"Oh it did? Hmmm, well uhmmm, I don't know what to do or who to call. I'm sitting on the side of the highway, without a phone book in my hand."

"I could call you a tow truck, but because you are no longer covered, you would have to pay a flat rate, however, if you call someone yourself, you would be able to negotiate a price.

I turned to look over my shoulder at the Service Centre.

It isn't really that far. What's involved here? Let's see, I would have to climb across that grassy hill, and I'm not sure if there's a ditch between the grass and the driveway but well, what else are you going to do?

"Ok, thank you for your help. I'll call someone on my own."

I know, I'll call Mom and she can look up tow trucks on the internet or something. Shit where exactly am I anyway?

"...Ok Mom, calm down. I'm ok. I'm close to a Service Centre. Lots of people around. I'll just walk over to it and see if they can give me a number for a towing company. No, I'll be fine. Well, yes I do have to get out of the car and walk somewhere to get to the gas station. Stay on the phone with me then. I'll talk to you until I reach the door."

Why the hell did you call her? You are a moron.

"Alright, I'm at the door, I'll call you back when I know something."

I glanced at my watch. 12:15am. The voice on the other end of the line speaking to me in broken English was telling me to stay put that he would be able to fix my tire but it would take him 45 minutes to arrive.

What else are you going to do? You're stuck!

"Ok, thank you, I'll be waiting in my car. It will be the black Toyota with the four way flashers going off. You can't miss it!"

The gentleman working at the gas bar took the card back and put it with the other towing company cards that were stashed beside the cash register.

"45 minutes to wait eh?"

"Yeah well, thank you, I guess I'll go sit in the car."

"No, that's too long to sit down there. Why don't you go inside to the Service Centre and grab a coffee at Tim Hortons there. You might as well sit there for awhile."

I turned to look towards the other building that housed several different restaurants, all closed except the Tim Hortons, and decided he was right. It would be far safer sitting in there where there were people around.

I sat at one of the many deserted tables in the big room with glass on all walls and realized that I was very alone. I was the only person sitting in this huge room, on display for every motorist that stopped for gas. The other thing that was very apparent was that although there were occasional customers entering for coffee, none of them were female. They were all men.

Maybe the car is a better place to be. Nobody can see me inside the car. It's dark and the windows are tinted. I can just sit there with the doors locked and wait. Yes, that's what I'll do. Christ, now I have to walk through that ditch again, and down the hill. Why didn't my tire blow even two minutes earlier? I could have been parked right here in the parking lot. Ok, suck it up and get out there. Look at those two sleazy looking guys. Are they doing a drug deal? Don't look at them. Walk by, head high, like you are just going over to one of those cars. Just try to screw with me and you'll be sorry. I'm not in the mood for any more bullshit.

...tune in tomorrow for Part Two.

3 comments:

Mick Flynn Images said...

I'm looking forward to part two, but.......in the UK, we carry a spare, and change it ourselves (if it's not also flat.)

Suzy Snow said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Suzy Snow said...

Ok, I'll try this again...

Ha Mick, good one! We call them spares too, when they are regular full size tires. In my case, it was a smaller compressed tire referred to as a donut. You can't drive on it for more than 3,000km and you should not exceed a speed of 80 km/hr.

Jack, Jack, Jack, is it fiction you want to read or non-fiction? I can adjust the story according to your desires. Just let me know! ;o)