Monday, October 18, 2004

Double Decker Frogs

When I was 6 we moved from Toronto to Collingwood.
I had already visited Collingwood a couple of times, during summers when we stayed atWasaga Beach. So I already knew what a great place it was and was quite happy to leave the concrete jungle for fun in a small town.

Well, it probably wasn't exactly like that, but I was excited about moving to a new town and a new house. We arrived in the summer before school started and my sister and I spent much of the summer playing together because we had not made any new friends yet.

It was a large, brick, two storey home, complete with an attic and pocket doors. I used to imagine that I was a grand lady with full billowing gowns whenever I walked down the staircase.

The basement was the best place to play during the hot summer days. It was cool, damp and dark, complete with a dirt floor. There was also a doorway with stairs that led to the side yard. My sister and I enjoyed this added bonus, because we were able to sneak in there without my Father seeing us.

Not long after we arrived, I found the cutest little creature in the yard. It was a toad on a toad, but I thought it was a frog on a frog, otherwise referred to as double decker frogs. I wanted to keep it as a pet so I put it in the basement. My sister was upset that I had a pet and she didn't, so we found one for her. I think we decided to put a couple more down there, just to keep them company.

As ususal for young children, our attentions turned elsewhere and we soon forgot all about our pet "frogs".

Some time later, perhaps weeks, we heard our Father screaming for us to get downstairs right away.

I was afraid to go down because I could tell from the tone of his voice that he had found our pet "frogs". But I knew that I had to face the music and so did my sister. We decided to act stupid. It was always the best defence.

"What Daddy?"

"Come here for a minute, both of you, NOW."

"Yes Daddy?"

"Did either of you bring a frog into the basement?"

In unison, "No."

"Don't lie to me."

"We didn't. Why?"

"Jesus Christ, you two look at the floor and you tell me why I'm asking you? I know that I didn't bring any frogs into the basement and I know for sure your goddamn Mother didn't."

My sister and I looked down at the floor, trying to focus in the dim light so that we could see what the fuss was about. My guess was that he found either my pet or my sisters.

When my eyes finally adjusted I was ecstatic with happiness. There had to be *hundreds, in my mind* of frogs hopping happily about the dreary cellar. Our double-decker frogs had disembarked and now we had tons of little single frogs.

I immediately started to cry when I realized that my lie had been found out, this was the second best defence when dealing with my Father. If he wasn't too angry, this would soften him up so that he would totally not be angry anymore.

He did soften a little, but he still made us pick up all the frogs and take them back outside. Meanie.

3 comments:

Watski said...

I CANNOT imagine anything worse.

I think I'd have fancied my chances living on my own more.

Anonymous said...

"Double decker frogs"... heh. So much for keeping a secret from Daddy, nu? I would have loved to have seen the expression on the man's face when he found his basement alive with froggies! Too funny, Sis.

Pierette

Suzy Snow said...

Watski, I'm sure my Dad did contemplate living on his own quite often!

Jack - I inherited my Father's patience. Practically non existant when it comes to children. ;o) Thank god my daughter was kind of creeped out by slimy things.

Pierette - The look on my Dad's face was priceless or more aptly known as scary when I was six. I hurried to save my pets when he explained that the reason why he noticed them in the dimly lit cellar was because he stepped on one.