Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Journey Home Part Two

Continued from yesterday's post...

Ahhh, safe. I guess. I sunk into my seat and quickly locked the door.

Oh my god, it’s only 12:25? How could all of that only have taken 10 minutes. Geez. Maybe he’ll get here faster than 45 minutes. Or maybe he’ll take longer. What do you think the odds are in your case? Yeah right. I’ll be here all fucking night. I know it.

Within 10 minutes or less a tow truck stopped in the driveway on the other side of that grass and ditch that I had ventured across earlier. The driver was out of the truck, waving to me and yelling something.

Shit, here I go again. I wonder if it’s my guy already? Why is he over there. Oh well, I’ve got nothing to lose by walking over there to see what he has to say.

"What’s the problem with your car?"

"Flat tire."

"Did you call someone?"

"Yes I did, the fellow in the gas station gave me a card."

"Who did you call?"

"I don’t know, it was a funny name. Stoehar? Stollar? Stoecar? I have no idea."

"Oh I know who you’re talking about, he’ll be on his way. Don’t worry. I was heading north and saw your car so I swung around to see if you needed help."

"Thank you very much. I hope he comes soon. Bye."

Maybe I should have gotten him to fix it. No, that wouldn’t be nice. The other guy will be on his way. Be patient. Wait.

Time crept slowly by as my thoughts flashed over the good day I had enjoyed. Earlier I was reunited with old co-workers for a baby shower. The baby was so cute and cuddly. The mom was glowing and happy. It was great to get the chance to catch up with each other.

I wasn’t ready to go home when it was over at 5:00pm. My friend Trudy lives in Barrie and I decided it would be a good chance to visit with her. I started my new evening shift on Monday so I didn’t have to get up early. I could live a little on this Sunday evening. I reminded myself that it was only an hour or so from home, so even if I left Trudy’s at 10:00pm, I could be home by 11:00.

I did have a good visit with Trudy and that was why I was on the highway so late. I never left her house until after 11:00pm.

Just as I was beginning to worry that my tow truck would never appear, a truck signalled off the highway and came to a stop right behind. I waited for him to get out of his truck, but he wasn’t moving. Looking at my watch I could see that I had now been waiting an hour. It was 1:15 am.

It must be him. Oh shit, I guess he wants me to get out first. This is weird. I hope I don’t get hit by a passing vehicle.

"What’s the problem?"

Damn, another strange tow truck looking for business.

I told him that I had called another truck and he wanted to know who. I went through the same problem as before, trying to pronounce the foreign name as well as remember what it was. He said he knew of that man, and that the guy was a crook.

"He’s not coming. You’ll sit here all night waiting for that guy. I can fix it if you want. It’s up to you."

"Sure. Fix it. I need to get home and I think I’ve been patient enough. I hope I have a spare because to be honest with you, I don’t ever remember seeing one in my car."

I chuckled at my own ineptness and expected a little smile from my white knight but his face remained stony as he hopped out of his truck and waited for me to dump all my belongings onto the side of the road and search for the spare.

"Ahh, I DO have a spare tire. Thank god!"

Still no response from Mr. Personality. He quickly grabbed the donut, jack and tire wrench and started the process of switching tires.

In approximately 10 minutes and $45.00 less in my wallet, I was back on the highway heading home.

Ring, ring. Ring, ring.

My heart jumped as I grabbed my cell phone. It couldn’t be the tow truck driver, could it?

Private number, private caller.

I’m not answering it. What will I say? Sorry to drag your ass out in the middle of the night for nothing. Sucks to be you? I don’t believe it. Why is this happening?

I listened to the message and yes it was my original driver that I had called. He was apparently where I was supposed to be and he was wondering where I had gone to. Did I fix my tire?

I was debating on what to do about it when he called for the second time.

Might as well answer it, he’s just going to keep calling. Play dumb. It’s easier that way and no hard feelings. I hope.

"Hello."

"Hello, where is your car? I drove out here middle night and you are gone. You fix tire?"

"No, I didn’t but a tow truck came and the man fixed my tire. Didn’t you send him?"

"No it wasn’t me. Why you not call me? Why you should not call when you call me first?"

"I’m really sorry. I waited over an hour and when this truck came I thought it was you or you had sent him to fix my tire. I couldn’t call you because I didn’t have your number. The man in the service centre gave me your card. I called you and then gave him back the card. I didn’t know who I had called. I really apologize for this."

"Oh ok, that’s alright then. Bye."

You are going to hell. You know that don’t you? Liar!

1 comment:

Suzy Snow said...

Shhhhhsssshhh Jack that's our little secret ok?