Thursday, September 30, 2004

I read the news today...

For the first time in a long time, I was able to take some time to read the newspaper. I was able to get caught up on a local catastrophe, the horrific accident early Wednesday morning that caused a major traffic jam, as well as the story about Martha Stewart's new home.

As far as the accident, it's certainly a good thing it happened in the wee hours of the morning or there would have been a lot of fatalities. That 401 is becoming so clogged all day long with trucks and cars that it's hard to discern when rush hour starts and ends. There is really no good time to drive on it unless it's after 10:00 pm. When is the government going to realize that we have to do something to improve transportation in and around the city? It seems that the 401 is always under some sort of construction but it never really improves. Whoever designed the section where the 427 joins the 401 should be shot or better yet, chained to a chair in the middle of lane three from the right shoulder, right where you exit the 401 west to take the 427. That lane, for years, used to be an exit lane or a drive straight and stay on the 401 lane, but now, after some construction, it's been turned into an exit only lane. You might be wondering what the big deal is, because it doesn't sound like one but it is.

Close your eyes (on second thought don't, you need to keep reading) and visualize this huge trans Canada highway cutting through one of the largest cities of the country. At this one point we have 6 + lanes heading west. 3 lanes in the express and 3 plus in the collectors. The express and collectors lanes are separated by a concrete median. Everyone is driving at full tilt coming around this bend with a slight incline. The concrete median disappears and now you have 6 lanes all conjoined, heading harmoniously in the same direction.

A big overhead sign indicates three lanes for the 427 to your right and 3 lanes for the 401 to your left. Remember that before, that third lane from your right would allow you to take either the 401 or 427. All of a sudden you have a flash of red as brake lights come on simultaneously across all lanes and everyone comes to a complete standstill. It happens every friggin day. I don't even wait to see the flash of red anymore, I just take my foot off the gas as I am heading around the bend because I know that I will be screeching to a halt as six lanes of cars try to jockey around so that everyone can go in the direction they want. You invariably have some asshole at the last minute realizing that he can't go straight or turn, that is sitting in that third lane. Near accidents happen every day because of this improvement.

And it continues to go downhill from there. You lose the collectors lanes for a little while but get them back briefly after you pass the 427. Then you lose them completely after the cut off for the 410/403 where at one point if you were in the express lanes, your lanes decrease to two. Why could they not maintain the flow and allow the decrease in lanes to happen slowly outside of the metro area? Away from Toronto/Mississauga?

That is part of the daily struggle thousands of us put up with everyday while we try to get to work on time. You would think that employers would be empathetic to commuters and allow a flexible start/end within a half hour or so. If you are late 10 mins then you stay late 10 mins at the other end of the day. How hard would that be? Instead you have people sitting in traffic jams that are completely beyond their control, going crazy because they are fearful of losing their jobs. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Ok, I'm through with the 401 for now. Onto more pressing issues, Martha Stewart.

I can't help but feel a little sorry for her. I know, you're thinking I'm completely crazy, but as far as I'm concerned, she probably didn't do anything that tons of other people haven't and don't do every day, but she got caught and is being made an example of. For what I'm not sure. What will change by persecuting poor Martha? Will other rich people with access to inside information decide NOT to advantage themselves because they're afraid that they too may have to spend a few months behind bars? I doubt it very much. I think that people are jealous of her success and are happy to see her fall. For that I feel sorry for her. I feel sorry that she is disliked that much.

This is why I hate reading the news. I get all pissed off and upset.

Tomorrow I'm only going to read the comics. :o)

3 comments:

Mick Flynn Images said...

Like Jack said, same problems, different country, and the public transport here is CRAP.......and expensive.

Rob Burton said...

Just saying Hi, I'm reading you too so you're not alone. I gave up on the newspapers a while ago, here in the UK they are crap, so I think comics are the best bet!

Suzy Snow said...

Hey Jack! I would love to see your M25, you know, to compare notes. I hope to one day visit your wonderful country and if I do, that is something that is going to be on my list of "to do's". Love the idea that our good taste is developing when in reality it's deteriorating. Could it be that the Youngsters have crappy taste? :o)

Glad to know we're not alone Mick.

Welcome Rob, nice to hear from people that visit! The comics are far more fun!