Monday, October 11, 2004

"Swiff it Good, la la la laaaaaaaaaaaa"

I think I might be gullible. People that know me, are certain of it. Today was a day of rest. I worked my ass off yesterday, rearranging house, unpacking some more crap and then cooking Thanksgiving Turkey dinner. So today, I did nothing.

Nothing except watch a ton of television. Now I have the Swiffer jingle that is sung to the Devo "Whip It" song running through my head with thoughts of going to purchase one.

My Mother will not be swayed. She thinks they are far too expensive, and do not do the job that she can. So no Swiffer for me.

Yesterday's rearranging of furniture was fun though. I think the House Doctor would be proud of the end result. When we moved in the furniture was just placed in the room without much thought and it was driving me crazy. Now it feels more like home and balanced. That's important. When you are not balanced in the mind, you require balance in your surroundings.

Well, enough of that, there are more pressing things to write about. I didn't hear from my strike captain today, so I'm assuming we will be at work as usual tomorrow. Our plans to strike last Thursday and tomorrow have been called off as the negotiating team returned to the table on the weekend. I am hoping that we get an offer without having to strike. You never get enough money to make up for the lost wages when you walk off the job and besides, I cannot afford to sit at home without an income. If I could, then I wouldn't go to work everyday. I would opt to stay at home!

I laughed when I read about PPQ's blind date and it reminded me of a pseudo date that I went on earlier this summer. There is a fellow that lives in my building and we have become friendly, going on walks on a Sunday afternoon or playing a game of pool.

I was in a position to help him out with something and he mentioned taking me out to dinner to repay me. I wasn't expecting to be repaid but realized that it would be rude to decline, so I said that sounded like a good idea. He made it a concrete offer by suggesting the following weekend and I agreed.

"Hi Shelly, just thought I would call to see if you're still on for tonight."

"Oh hi there, sure, tonight is good for me."

"Good. Did you hear about the special offer at Mandarin?"

"No I don't think I have." (I lied here, because I had but did not want to go near the place).

"Well, make sure you bring your birth certificate, we'll swing by and if it's not too busy I thought we could go there. They are giving a free meal to all Canadian Citizens."

"Oh I bet you won't get near the place."

"Ok, well I have another idea if it's too busy."

I hung up the phone and was confused. Should I feel slighted that he wanted to repay his so-called debt with a free meal, or should I be amused by his obvious frugalness?

I opted for the latter and enjoyed a good chuckle about it. It seemed to cement my notion that I do attract the wrong kind of men.

In the end he took me to a Greek restaurant for my favourite, Soulvaki dinner and we had a pleasant time. The relationship has never progressed past the friend stage and in my heart, that is all I believe we were meant to be.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time (at university) we took the girls to dinner, at the Eel pie and mash shop. They weren't impressed. They made our lives hell until we took them to the chinese as compensation, for their humiliation. Hmm perhaps that would make a good tuesday story.

yes you were too late for the vote. Would have made it close though. Mayday Johnny Grays, it's a close run thing. next week perhaps. It's a good story.

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of the time (at university) we took the girls to dinner, at the Eel pie and mash shop. They weren't impressed. They made our lives hell until we took them to the chinese as compensation, for their humiliation. Hmm perhaps that would make a good tuesday story.

yes you were too late for the vote. Would have made it close though. Mayday Johnny Grays, it's a close run thing. next week perhaps. It's a good story.

PPQ said...

Now, if he had taken you to the free meal, that really would've been worse than my blind date!

Good that you know that it's not right with him tho', don't settle for second best, the right one is bound to pop around the corner...

Suzy Snow said...

Mike: Funny how some women always get their way isn't it? Ya see that doesn't happen to me. hehehhehee, if I was upset about where I was taken for a free meal and complained about it, I'm sure I would never be taken out again. Hmmmm, maybe that's my problem. I try to think of what the repercussions will be in most situations. I really enjoyed the Mayday story, can't wait for the next one.

PPQ - thanks I keep telling myself that, but sometimes when all you are served is leftovers, you start to think that's ok.

Jack - that's coming from a happily married man. Now if you were in my shoes, you may start to think differently. In this case, friends is good. He's a nice guy but we are not compatible.