Friday, October 15, 2004

Investigative Reports

It's a good thing I came home. I scoured the news stations last night for an update on our strike and found nothing.

Woke up this morning and lay in bed listening to the radio news broadcasts, nothing.

Pulled myself out of bed to see if Mom Columbo had picked up the scent of any newsmaking on the strike front and nada.

Checked in on concerned daughter, again zippo.

What should I do? I don't start work until 2:30pm. Will they call me later and tell me we're back to work? What if we were back to work on Wednesday and I didn't know because I was playing?

Ahhh, the internet. The place at my fingertips that holds all the answers to any question you could ever think of.

First stop was google.ca to see what the newest news was, the results page only offered updates from 11 and 13 hours ago. There had to be something more recent.

I decided to go directly to the PSAC web site. This page took forever to load but when it finally did arrive on my monitor I was horrified to find that Tables 1 (mine) and 3 were returning to work today as a tenative agreement is expected to be received at 11:00am. We are still in a strike position and if it's not accepted then we could be out again.

Don't get me wrong. I'm very happy to be returning to work, but what was horrifying to me is that I may not have found out that we were back. It's 9:56 am at this moment and I have yet to hear from anyone telling me that we are going back.

I took it upon myself to call a friend who works in the daytime and she was called this morning at 7:00am.

Nice eh? Good thing I wasn't depending on the news to advise of the status of our strike. That would be such a novel idea, to actually keep the public informed of the negotiations of one of the countries largest employers with it's employees.

5 comments:

Suzy Snow said...

I know, how silly of me eh? I ended up getting a phone call before I left home to tell me that I did have to work today. It seems that someone else was supposed to call me and didn't.

My group were confused because whatever gains we made last week, were forgotten after being away for 6, so it was pretty frustrating.

Anonymous said...

Wren from Montreal, Quebec

You have a very nice blog. Keep up the good work.

http://www.armbell.com/forums/?mforum=rainwren

Suzy Snow said...

Welcome Wren and thank you for the compliment. I hope you visit again!

Anonymous said...

Will you have to explain the new-NEW form again? Scream Scream Scream Scream Repeat.

Dumb question - is there such a thing as strike insurance? That could have been very expensive for you.

Pierette

Suzy Snow said...

No, we don't have strike insurance, but if you picket, you are eligible for $50.00 per day. Hardly equivalent to my regular income but it all helps.