Thursday, September 02, 2004

Party Time

I'm starting to get excited about my road trip tomorrow. I'm going to visit my friend Ana in Ottawa.

She's a woman that I used to work with several years ago. She still works for my department but in a different location than me. We used to have a ball working on the front desk, looking after our clients. In between, we would be cracking jokes or just getting into mischief.

It's usually a very good time, catching up, having some laughs etc. The last time I was there, which would be approximately a year ago, I over indulged in White Russians. Ana and I had discussed before the party what kind of drink we would be consuming. A safe, easy to handle one. We decided to make White Russians. We would split on the ingredients. I had never actually had a White Russian before that night. After the first sip, I was hooked. What a smooth, sweet, delicacy. Well, one, two, three, we were out of Kahlua. I KNEW it. We argued in the liquor store about how much to buy. I wanted to buy a big bottle of Vodka and a big bottle of Kahlua, but she didn't want to spend that much money so she bought the small bottle of Kahlua, I bought the big bottle of vodka.

We desperately needed to replenish the Kahlua. Ana called one of her late arriving friends and they agreed to go to the Liquor store for the missing ingredient. In the meantime, I needed a drink and Bob was opening a bottle of wine. I love wine. Red, White, Sparkling, Blush, whatever, it's all good. I accepted Bob's offer of red wine and after a couple of glasses we were back to the White Russians.

I really had a good time at the party. Ana had made some funny tasting brownies; I had far too much to drink and remembered laughing a lot. I wasn't laughing the next morning though. I was so sick that I thought I was going to die. Ana had made plans with her friends to meet for brunch and then I was going to drive the 4 + hours back home.

I had to decline on the brunch thing. I was not going anywhere further than the bathroom and even that was an effort. I was beginning to think I would not be able to drive home.

It only took me until 5:00pm to feel well enough to venture away from the washroom. Ana seemed happier to see me leave than she did when I arrived. I tried not to get too sensitive about the whole thing. I know I'm a good guest. I cleaned up after myself every time.

This morning in response to my request for directions this is what I got instead:

NO BARFING THIS TIME. I MEAN IT. YOU BETTER NOT GET ALL CRAZY SHELLY!!! I'm so excited about you coming!!!! We're going to have so much fun!

I'm getting the impression that perhaps Ana doesn't agree that I am a good house guest. Her excitement is overshadowed by her orders for me to behave. Maybe I should just stay home. Nah! To hell with her, maybe I'll do a Black Russianthis time instead!

No comments: