Wednesday, September 22, 2004

Walker?

I had to pick up my daughter at 9:00pm from her work. My mom reminded me at 8:45, so I wouldn't forget. I was really tired and did not feel like heading back out again, but I didn't want her to walk home either, so off I went, late as usual.

I could see that the light was green at my corner. The infamous corner where it refuses to change from red if you are unfortunate enough to get stuck there. Unless of course, you hit the right spot to activate it. For more information on this phenomenon, click here. Anyway, with a push to the gas pedal I was able to swerve around the corner, almost on two wheels, just as the yellow turned red.

While I was sitting at the next red light, worrying about being late and how my foot is killing me from some cracks on my heel, the phone rang.

"Hello, hello, hello! HELLO!"

"Hi Mom?"

"Hi."

"Do you want a walker?"

"A what?"

"A walker."

"What?"

"Do YOU want a FUCKING WHOPPER?!? You know, HAMBURGER?"

"Ohhhhh, sure, hahahha thanks."

What a sweet daughter I have! Such lovely language.

She's always telling me that I'm deaf. Maybe I am, or as what happened tonight, I was so self absorbed in my foot ache that I thought I heard her offering me a device to help me walk, rather than hearing what she was actually saying. Perhaps this is the real problem with hearing problems...listening.

4 comments:

Suzy Snow said...

Don't you know it, it is a combination of partial deafness (haven't actually admitted this too much) and the mumbling. I say that the kids are all partially deaf too from the loud music and because of that they don't know how to pronunciate words.

Joe said...

Hi girl, I droped by from Micks "do you want a walker" what a hoot! I have the same problem here every one mombles. I hate to say 'what did you say' they look at you like your from anothr planet! Have a good weekend drop by some time.

Anonymous said...

Welcome Joe, and thanks for dropping by! I know what you mean by "the looks". hehehehhee

Anonymous said...

Sissy, I have the same issues. The one and only time I had my hearing tested there was some serious loss in both ears -- and I didn't go to many loud concerts in my childhood. No fair.

Ever notice how when you ask someone to repeat what they've said, they do enunciate more clearly but at a lower volume?

I'm going to have to break down and get my hearing tested again. Wonder if there'll be room in the motorcycle helmet for both hearing aids AND these damn bifocals I'm already trying to get used to?

Aging sucks.