Thursday, September 30, 2004

We're in!

Finally the old apartment is empty. Mom and I took one final walk through before we handed in the keys and it was a good thing. I had left my good broom, no not the one I use to fly around on, but my good broom that I sweep with. It was in the corner of my old bedroom.

Not sure why moving is so hard, not only physically, but emotionally as well. We've had lots of arguments, tears and laughter the past week. Everyone is affected in a different way.

As I put the key in the lock for the final turn, my mother asked me if I was sad. I said yes I was. I remember how excited my daughter and I were when we moved in. The beginning of a new journey is always exciting. I looked at the grimace on my mother's face and returned the question back to her. She laughed, "No I'm not sad to be leaving here. Don't forget, I wasn't here as long as you were and I didn't have a room. So no, I'm not sorry that I'm not sleeping on the sofa in the livingroom anymore."

I forgot that she had been camping out in the livingroom for the past couple of months until we moved. So no, it wouldn't be the same for her, but I know that there were places in the past that she moved from with tears in her eyes.

I keep reminding myself that homes are just bricks and mortar and that isn't the thing that makes you happy or sad for that matter. It's the memories that you built while you lived there. Happily, memories move right along with you.

I think I'll take a moment to relax before I start into the next phase (unpacking).

No comments: