Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Impulsive, Spontaneous Idiot

Not sure if I've mentioned before that I can be impulsive. Impulsive and spontaneous. I'm also a salesman's dream. I'm sure silent alarms are triggered as I enter stores, signalling all sales personel to be on the lookout for me, the easy sell.

It happened to me again yesterday. I was out on a shopping trip to buy a mattress and boxspring for my mother. That was cool. I knew what I wanted and where I was buying it and after laying around on a few different mattresses, I had made my purchase all within 15 minutes of walking in the store.

I was in and out in no time. Pleased with my speedy shopping prowess, I decided that I should drop into The Brick (a store I never shop in) and see what they have in the line of entertainment units.

My stereo stand is rickety and the TV stand is old, and I thought that the new apartment deserved something better. It deserved a unit worthy of its wall. Nothing big and bulky. Nothing cheap looking. It should be stylish yet classic, sleek and modern, but not stark. The most important thing would be that it should house my stereo and TV all in one unit. I wanted to be able to access the stereo easily, so it would be preferable to have open shelves as opposed to glass doors.

Upon entering The Brick I was quickly greeted by a female salesperson. She was friendly enough but was not overly aggressive. I managed to easily wrangle myself out of her clutches within seconds.

Before I departed however, I spoke with two more salespeople, and one of them sold me an entertainment centre. The last one like it, because it was so popular. The ugliest piece of furniture, what in the hell were you thinking?, according to my daughter when I showed it to her today. In the back of my mind, I already knew this and this is why I decided to take her back to the store today to show her my purchase prior to it's delivery on Wednesday.

I'm not sure if it was the fact that she almost wet herself laughing so hard when I showed her my prize or her frank statements on what a piece of shit it was, but something about her reaction gave me the strength that I needed to cancel the order and get a refund.

With her total support, I managed to be firm, say no, get money back and walk out of store without dying of embarrassment.

I'm not allowed to do anymore shopping alone.

No comments: