Thursday, September 09, 2004

I'm not sure where I went. I was so surprised when I realized that I wasn't where I thought I was. It's disconcerting to me; to wake up while driving home from work. My mind had slipped into another zone and for a little while, I have no recollection of my drive. All the cars around me slipped away. A big chunk of the 401 disappeared completely.

All I know is that I was surprised that suddenly the traffic had thinned and that I could begin my move over to the far right lane prior to the 427 cutoff rather than waiting until I got to the other side of the construction zone, like I do every other evening. It was as I was changing lanes that I realized that I was not physically situated where I thought I was. I had already driven through the narrow, condensed construction zone area and I was exactly where I normally am when I begin to change lanes every other night.

That is scary. What was I thinking about? Would I have averted an accident if something had happened suddenly, while I was in this zombie state? Certainly I must because this isn't the first time this has happened. It used to happen every day when I made my trek from Mississauga to Barrie for a 6 month period.

If I can drive safely, in this automatic mode, I wonder if I could harness this skill and apply it to other aspects of my life? I could happily be deep in thought, analyzing my newest interest while my zombie engages in conversation with my mother during dinner. At work, I could train staff and answer their questions while I daydream about sandy shores, hot sun and cute cabana boys. I could enjoy the meanders of my mind while my zombie goes out to do the grocery shopping, chauffeurs my daughter to and fro, visits with relatives, there are so many uses.

Perhaps I could get a spot on the lecture circuit teaching other's how to bring out their own inner zombie. I may get slotted on the same circuit as Sylvia Browne. I could do a Zombie Channelling for Dummies book. Surely I've stumbled onto something big.

Now if I can only concentrate on this long enough to follow through before my zombie takes over I'll have it made.

2 comments:

Suzy Snow said...

Ha! It wasn't me that was trying to pick up the bikers, they were trying to pick me up! hehehehhehehe...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, waking up from The Zombie Zone is pretty scary. I always wonder what I've missed.

I wish to get in touch with my Inner Zombie and have it work while I ponder life's mysteries and go out to lunch with cute men!

-- Pierette