Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Proud to be Canadian

I just finished reading the BEST book that I have read in a long, long time. It was purchased on a whim while I was Christmas shopping one day. I'm one of those people that marketers love. They strategically place items to line the queue, for people just like me. We (spontaneous creatures)are responsible for significant increases in sales. I am happy to report that for once this unplanned purchase turned out to be perfect.

The title of the book is Clara Callen. The author, Richard B. Wright. See details here.

It definitely was a page turner for me and contained everything that I love, history, journal entries, old letters, sex, interesting personalities and references to other books. If you are looking for a good read, I highly recommend it.

The best part is it's written by a Canadian Author who lives in Southern Ontario (like me, the geographical part) and the protagonist lives in a small Ontario village, while her sister lives in New York City. He does a great job of displaying the subtle differences between the neighbouring countries. I also find it very hard to believe that a man was able to capture the essence of a woman so well. And not only one woman but three.

If you have a recommendation for a book that you particularly enjoyed, I'd appreciate eihter a comment or email. Thanks! I think we have about 4 months left of winter.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just re-read William Trevor's "After the Rain." It's a collection of short stories, but you could pick any of his books. (http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0140258345/qid=1105456557/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/026-6097926-6225237)

Huwge

Suzy Snow said...

Thank you Huwge! You can see my requests to my readers (and yes I have been told by people that they do come here to update) has fell on deaf ears or blind eyes.

I'm on a real reading binge and need to find new and different authors. Sometimes I get stuck in a rut with what I read. It can become very boring.

Anonymous said...

OK - here's a hodgepodge of the books I liked or re-read through 2004. Hopefully something takes your fancy.

Fictional
Humour:
The Essential Spike Milligan
Tragically I was an only twin - Peter Cook edited by William Cook
Going Postal - Terry Pratchett

Thriller
Return of the dancing master - Henning Mankell (also his Wallander series)
The Tony Hill series by Val McDermid
Train - Pete Dexter
The Rebus series - Ian Rankin

Novel
A star called Henry - Roddy Doyle
Aprhrodite - Isabelle Allende
The Iliad - Homer, transl. Robert Fagles (to get the travesty that was Troy out of my mind)
The Line of Beauty - Alan Hollinghurst

Factual:
Trawler - Redmond O'Hanlon
Gulag, a history - Anne Applebaum
1968: The year that rocked the world - Mark Kurlansky
Forgotten voices of the Great War - Max Arthur
Berlin, the downfall 1945 - Antony Beevor

Huwge

Suzy Snow said...

Thank you very much Huwge! Now I have a nice little selection. Can't wait to finish this book so I can try one of yours.