Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Happier?

I was looking at old photo's again. Yes from those boxes I'm sorting. Anyway, one in particular sort of struck me with the notion that I was very happy during that time. It was about a year after my husband had left and it was my daughter and myself living on our own in a small townhouse. The picture is her and I seated in the living/dining room with all kinds of birthday decorations. I had hung coloured streamers all around the room with co-ordinating balloons, fresh flowers on the table and a lovely pink table cloth. It was her birthday. I looked very happy.

Gazing at the picture and remembering that particular time in my life, I came to the conclusion that I was happier without a man in my life. Then wondered why I am not content now.

I was explaining this phenomenon to my co-worker last night and she quietly offered another take on the situation.

"Don't forget Shelly, when people are taking pictures it is generally for a special occasion and people are usually happy in the photos."

The simplicity of that statement made me burst out laughing as I remembered the long, lonely nights of the winter when I came home from work and after dinner, laid on the sofa with candles lit and listened to sad songs on my stereo.

Now wouldn't that have been a great picture?

3 comments:

PPQ said...

Ha! Isn't that so true!
So easy to forget that the photos usually capture the good stuff.

Still here's to 2005...Cheers.

Mick Flynn Images said...

Scan the picture, and send it here... http://1000words.net/

Suzy Snow said...

Thanks PPQ and same to you!

Mick-what a great site! Have you posted pics there? I don't have a scanner, but I'm going to see if I can find someone that does. Great idea.

Lonely & Depressed - I read the post, it was very, very depressing. I think you need help. I hope you get it.

Crumb - I'm sure she was a mess inside. I know I was. We mums have a way of hiding that!