Friday, January 28, 2005

Just Do It!

I finally met my resolve and ventured downstairs. After weeks, no after months, of talking to myself about just "doing it", I was going to "do it". I am a bit of an oxymoron in some ways, well I guess we all are, but at times I will do things with such spontaneity and ease, that my friends are impressed and yet at other times, it can take months to build up to completing a simple task.

When I quit smoking, the lead up to the day was probably close to a year. It's been over six years now, so I guess how long it takes to finally do something isn't always what matters. On the other hand, that procrastination and foot dragging is and can be the most irritating thing about my character to me, so what is it like for people around me?

They must want to just bang me on the head in my sleep and hope that the after affect will render a new me. One that is decisive and proactive when it comes to my life.

But I digress, I was on my way downstairs, finally after several months of dreaming of this day and today I did better than going by myself, I convinced my mother that she ought to go with me.

The two of us headed down the hall together. Full of optimism about the future. I was happy. She was happy. We were a happy family. If there were a song about happy families, I'm sure we could have sung in unison on our way. I couldn't think of one so we opted to walk in silence with our happy thoughts instead.

I opened the door and showed my mom into the impressive room. I quickly introduced her to the various inhabitants and jumped on the one I claimed for myself.

"Take it easy, you should start out slowly."

"That's when you're new, I've done this so many times before, I don't need to start out slowly."

"You're going to hurt yourself."

"Look, I can make it go up and down. Just press it right here. I think I'll continue at this angle, that kind of feels good."

"Don't whine to me tomorrow, or later today when you realize that you've over done it."

"You have no faith in my capabilities, do you?"

It felt great and I instantly wondered why something that feels so good can be so hard to make yourself do. I'm usually game for things that feel good. It's one of my priorities in life and what I consider my motto: if it feels good, it's got to be ok and you should do it, if it hurts, then it must be bad.

After 25 minutes of strenuous walking on the Lifecycle Treadmill, I cooled down and got off. My feet felt like jello when they hit the floor and I was a little worried as I walked back to the apartment that perhaps I had been a little over zealous on my first trip to the exercise room after such a long absence.

Now two weeks later, my back is finally healed to the point that I can go back. I've been thinking about it all week. ;o)

3 comments:

Mick Flynn Images said...

Gyms.
Scarey places.
Don't go back there Shelly.

Anonymous said...

Micky Spillane said he had no friends who took exercise .. they had all died .. Nuff said.

Jack x

Suzy Snow said...

Thanks guys! You're doing a great job of motivating me to make exercise an everlasting part of my daily routine! ;o)

I'm so lucky to have the support that I get around here! Hugggssss