Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Gift's Worth Giving

The following is a conversation between my mother and her father. I originally made an error when I said it was their 60th wedding anniversary. I stand corrected by my mother, it was their 68th wedding anniversary. They got married in 1937 which makes sense since my mother was born in 1940. Whew, glad I got that straightened out. My apologies to anyone that was mislead while reading the original version. ;o)


"Hi Dad, how are you?"

"Fine, just fine. Your mother and I have had a GREAT time today for our 68th Wedding Anniversary."

My mother felt bad that she had forgotten. She had been walking around all day trying to remember why January 16th, meant something.

"Well what do you expect Dad? You never made a big deal about your anniversary any other year, in fact, for years you never, ever mentioned it or did anything to celebrate, so how do you expect anyone to remember it now?"

"Yes I suppose you're right. I did something special for your mother anyway."

"That's nice, what did you do?"

"Well she woke up not feeling too well and then we discovered that she was all bunged up. So I gave her a suppository and waited until it was all over and then said, Happy Anniversary Mother!"

5 comments:

Suzy Snow said...

Hey there Mark! Nice to see you again. Glad you got a laugh. Just to clarify something, it was my mom talking to her dad. So it's my Grandpa (sharp as a tack still at 90) that she was talking to and yes he is quite the romantic.

We have so many laughs after my mom gets off the phone from her parent's. My grandma is 87 and he is 90. Grandpa is still driving and is very much in command of all his faculties. He has a great sense of humour, well in fact they both do and I was hoping that I would be able to capture that in writing.

It's a shame about poor Brad being on his own. I know someone who wouldn't mind keeping him company. ;o)

Just teasing you about whining about being cold. I hate winter too but I don't know if I could stand summer all year. I like to have something to bitch about! Hope you had a great day.

Mick Flynn Images said...

What a romantic your dad is!



BTW I did post on 1000words here...

http://1000words.net/042704.html

Find a scanner and send yours.

Suzy Snow said...

Thanks for the link again Mick and that is really too creepy to think you may have been there. I can only imagine how you must have felt. You aren't alone when you say 9/11 changed how you view things, I know my outlook is different.

I'm going to see if I can find another photo to do a write up on and send. Something that I already have a digital version of. I love that site.

Oh and it was my Grandpa. My dad passed away a few years ago. I was just repeating my mom's conversation with her dad.

Mick Flynn Images said...

Oops sorry,
I didn't read your post carefully enough (or your clarification to the other commenter.)

PPQ said...

Awwww, and whoever said romance was dead was...errrm...wrong!