Monday, February 07, 2005

Mysterious Behaviours

It's the end of my day and I finally have a moment to blog about a couple of niggling thoughts that have been bothering me. It's 11:45pm and most people are either in bed sleeping or preparing for bed. I am a little sleepy tonight, so I hope my brain will function properly to discuss these issues.

First let me point out that I am a very compassionate person and usually have no problem putting myself in someone else's position. This is not always to my benefit; I find it difficult at times to be angry, when I probably should, because I can understand the other person's motives etc.

I am unable to understand this first issue which involves two people, from either side. Let me lay it out on the table and perhaps someone else will read this and be able to point out something that I have not considered.

Oh and I should point out that what you are about to read is pure gossip and has little consequence to anyone that is in my life, and therefore is none of my business and I really don't care. Human nature perplexes me and it's just one of those odd little quirky things that has grabbed my attention. So don't tell me to mind my own business.

Let me introduce the players. First is Joe. Fifty two year old business man. He is of Greek decent. Pleasant looking but nothing exceptional. He owns a small retail store and business has been declining in the last few years to the point that at times he isn't sure if he will make payroll. Luckily he employs mostly students that are for the most part, cheap labour. His other lucky star is his very young live in girlfriend. She is twenty six. Very successful with a high profile job in a well known advertising firm. She comes from a wealthy family and they live together in a fashionable two story condo on the waterfront, minutes from downtown Toronto.

For the past year, Joe has been flirting with one of the young girls at work, who is now 19 years old. It has progressed to the point where they discuss openly in front of other staff that they have been to movies together and are planning to attend a concert and sit beside another staff member. They arrive at work together, because he has gone out of his way to pick her up. He frequently goes out to buy her treats and doesn't get anything for the other staff that happen to be working the same shift. They've been seen holding hands, walking through the mall.

She is very pretty, slim, young and still in school, attending University or College.

Here are the questions that I am unable to answer or understand:

1. Why?

2. Why?

3. Why?

4. Why would she want him?

5. Why wasn't his old, "young" girlfriend, young enough?

6. Why would he risk his meal ticket on someone that has nothing to offer?

7. How do you go from a position of authority and cross that line to dinkle with a youngster and think that it's ok?

8. Why are men pigs?

9. Is money that important, if that is the motive on her behalf; to give up your best, youthful years on someone that is old, nerdy and basically uhmmm, OLD?

My second little mystery is a bit of a rant more than anything. Three times today while driving, I was endangered by menacing drivers. Contrary to popular belief they were not WOMEN. They were OLD MEN.

There is nothing worse than an old man driver. I swear that they were going out of their way to either side swipe my car or just basically piss me off by changing lanes whenever I did so that they were constantly driving very fucking slow in front of me.

I'm sure you've all driven behind these old guys. The ones that learned how to drive on their family farm by driving the good ol' Massey Ferguson tractor around the fields. As they attempt to turn corners in their sleek, newer vehicles; they make very wide corners, appearing unaware of power steering and front wheel drive. Then they give you a dirty look and hand gesture when you honk your horn because you can see that they are going to take your mirror off or worse drive right into your door during the manoevre.

The other trait is that they have to be in front of you. It doesn't matter that you are driving faster. They will speed up to get in front and then immediately slam on the brakes and control your speed by continually slowing down until you just want to drive your car right over top of their's, regardless of consequences.

What is their motivation? Why do they take offence and try to blame you when their bad driving causes near misses? Why do they insist on going out for drives during rush hour?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not sure I can answer completely, but based on observation of a couple of my pals I can offer an insight. Men are essentially simple creatures, over analysis and long term planning is somewhat alien to us. With respect to younger women, it's a little bit alpha male / top dog machismo, a little bit risky (the frisson, if you will) and an element of trying to hold onto youth. I think the fact that young women are intellectually & emotionally under-developed helps as well - less complicated, i.e. a relationship can be essentially physical, based on base needs rather than emotional complexity. Why do some people prefer a young, green wine over a complex, mature red?

If you grow old with someone, the imperfections and failings of age are occurring on a day to day basis and are not really noticeable and anyway, it's no longer about just a physical connection. If you change partner frequently, then these "imperfections" are, I guess, distasteful. You are used to a young elastic body and that is what you want. It doesn't seem to matter that the male reflection in the mirror is no longer a buff 21 year old.

With respect to the chap you mention - the young girl is probably impressionable, he doesn't get grilled on how is business is doing, meeting the mortgage, etc. He can still act flash, as she may be unaware of his business woes, which helps his confidence as does the fact that he can reflect on bedding a teenager in his fifties. For him, in the short term it's probably win / win. Long term thinking is, I guess, not a male forte.

As for the drivers - no comment!

Huwge

Suzy Snow said...

Thanks Huwge, you certainly sound like an expert. ;o) Oh yes, I forgot you are a man. No seriously, I thought all those things myself, but I guess I couldn't accept that he would not think of all the negative affects of such a dalliance.

Hey Rocz, welcome! You poor thing, stumbling in here when I've just gone on a bit of a rant about men. Your comments as Huwge's do confirm some beliefs that I've always had, but chose to disbelieve. My belief system is going to be rearranged today. ;o)

Leggy - You are too funny! When you start noticing these traits, please go take a driver's test immediately and stay off the friggin road.

Jack, Jack, Jack. You know human nature is more than one dimensional. In all honesty, I love men. Probably a little too much for my own good. I guess that love of men, makes me want to understand them better. I would like to be able to accept that when a man in my life, has chosen infidelity over monogamy, especially when everything seems to be perfect, that it may not have anything to do with me. I don't give up. I keep getting up dust myself off and embark on each relationship with new optimism and I try not to paint all men with the same brush, but I do see similar brush strokes in the men I get involved with.

Suzy Snow said...

Hey Mark! Welcome back, ;o) Those girls on Sex in the City are having the time of their lives! hehehhehe, ok, so maybe they are pigs too or at least one is. I do believe that three of them were honestly looking for Mr. Right, while Samantha just wanted Mr. Right Now. Nice to see you again!