Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Crushed

**The following was written after reading a post at Rocz,check him out if you get a chance.



You were one of my favourite people. I remember your shoulder length, dark curly hair and the way your eyes danced when you looked at me. I sat across from you in Geography. You, Melanie and I were like the three musketeers.

We would hang out at lunch, go smoke a dube and then go to Geography. I still do not know how we managed to pass that semester. I do not remember learning a thing, oh yes, maybe I remember something about drawing a topographical map. I do remember laughing hysterically and loving the feeling of being near you.

After school, we would talk on the phone for hours and hours. I have no idea about what. I only know that I loved how you loved to spend time with me, even if it was over the telephone. You took the bus home every night and I walked home because I lived in the same town as our high school.

You spent a lot of time drawing your caricatures in my yearbook because you knew how much I appreciated your talent. You even gave me a special one that was drawn on a piece of lined paper. I still have it, tucked safely inside the yearbook.

You are an Aries. My daughter is an Aries. I wonder if you have the same traits as her, like stubbornness, ambition, and common sense. I never got the chance to share enough time with you to know that.

Your parents were quite a lot older than most parent’s, particularly compared to mine. They were very strict and you were not around the rest of the gang as much as I would have liked.

My most favourite memory of you is the night that you and I left the group and walked in between some houses so that we could sit on the bank of the river. The moon was high in the sky and the stars reflected on the water. We sat dreaming together. I wanted you to kiss me, I wanted to kiss you but I was too shy and couldn’t. I couldn’t be sure if you felt the same way, yet deep down inside, I knew that you did. In the end, I was content to be sitting squished close to you and staring at the stars.

You told me then, that you were moving away. You were moving out to Alberta, because of your father’s work. I’m sure I gave you my address. Perhaps I forgot. Maybe I did, but then we moved away within six months also, so if you had written later, I was already gone.

You were the crush I’ve never forgotten and since the Internet has arrived, I’ve even googled your name Tim, but where would I begin. What would you be doing now? Certainly you are not teaching Geography. Where would you be living? You could be anywhere in the world. You may not even be alive. I regret letting too many years come between us. I hope you are well and happy.

4 comments:

Brom said...

I liked that :-)

Suzy Snow said...

Jack, you make a very good point. You really can never go back. I probably wouldn't have anything to say to him after the initial, where the hell are you, what are you doing now. Glad you enjoyed the post, oh and I bet your wife is just as happy you aren't looking up old flames!

Rocz - Thank you very much for the lovely comments! *blushes* I'm looking forward to following your blog, so I hope you keep it going.

Brom - Thanks Brom, glad you liked it! :o)

Anonymous said...

Aries - stubborn and ambitious, okay I can accept these. Common sense? Sorry, no - three stitches in finger and significant pain suggest otherwise.

This is a great post Shelly. Nothing wrong with looking back so long as it remains the rear view mirror and not the road ahead. This post provoked so many memories, some happy some sad. As ever, the clichéed truth is "carpe diem."

Bugger but this one fingered typing is hard, stop writing stuff that makes me comment ;-)

Huwge

Suzy Snow said...

Huw-I didn't realize you were a Ram! My daughter is full of common sense, always has been and so is my other Aries friend. Maybe that's a trait of the females. ;o)

Love my memories but I do realize they are just that. I never stop looking ahead, even when that road keeps twisting and turning on me.

Glad you felt compelled to write even with your injury!