Wednesday, February 09, 2005

5 More Days

I have five more days before I do a big switch-a-roo for a week. The big switch will be from working the afternoon shift to reverting back to days. I'm going to help out another office for a week and this requires that I get up at probably 6:30am, just like I used to do before I went on this afternoon shift in October.

That is going to be hell. Like right now, it's 2:46am and I am wide awake, just starting to think about going to sleep.

I'm not sure I'll be able to switch that quickly. I told myself to go to bed early tonight and start to adjust by getting up early tomorrow. I've already screwed that up, now I'll have to wait until tomorrow night to go to bed early. What if I mess up again? Before I know it, it's going to be Sunday night and I'll be lying in bed wide awake at 4:00am wondering when I'll fall asleep.

I'm starting to get anxious about the whole thing. Damn, why does that stupid office need my help anyway?!?

Does anyone work swing shift on a regular basis? How do you do the change around?

2 comments:

Brom said...

It's not the same but similar to my experiences. I have done a lot of travelling over the past few years and have had to cope with various degrees of jetlag. In the early days I used to worry about it... "What if I don't get enough sleep" "god is that the time and I'm wide awake?" now I just go with the flow, if I'm awake in the middle of the night I accept it, daydream for an hour and usually doze off again, but never worry about the fact that I'm not sleeping. I've learned to live and work with feeling very tired using the same mental game of, don't worry about it. I'm just very careful not to drive long distances at times I know to be "risky" hope that makes sense and helps?

Suzy Snow said...

Thanks for the advice guys, and if I thought nobody from work read my blog then I might try Jack's idea. I guess what they will get on Monday is some sleepy-eyed, no-brained chick, who is supposed to have all the answers for them. Hehehhehe, it's going to be funny when I don't.