Wednesday, August 11, 2004

Reality Sucks

Reality TV that is. What happened to good TV programming? Why are we so obsessed with watching other people progress through their day? Have we taken "people watching" to a new extreme?

I was home early from work today and decided to zone out in front of the TV. I am not familiar with any of the programs on at that time, so I numbly sat flicking the remote looking for something interesting to spark my curiousity. There were those "justice" shows, old "friends" episodes, ancient "seinfeld's" and then, there she was, larger than life, Tammy Faye Baker, back on TV. That sparked my curiousity. Not for long though. Why would I want to endure even 10 minutes of her and her new housemates, Vanilla Ice, Ron Jeremy, on Surreal Life? Or for that matter, who else would?

I don't know about anyone else, but I can hardly stand to watch regular TV anymore. It seems the only types of programs that are available en masse are real life crime shows, Judge shows or reality shows that typically highlight interpersonal relationship problems up close. Where can a person go to escape reality? That's what TV used to do for us. Perhaps more people will return to reading as a perferable past time. I know I have.

No comments: