Saturday, June 02, 2012

Warning - Beware of Sweet Craving, Hormonal Woman (aka Daughter)

We all experience obstacles to overcome during our weight loss journeys. I am a veteran weight battler and am well aware of this fact, but thought it would be prudent for me to warn the rest of you out there that sometimes your obstacle can present itself in the form of your own loved ones.

In my case, it's my daughter. Like her mother, she struggles with being "big boned" and "chubby" and has done her own fair share of dieting in the past.

It always seems like one of us in "on track" while the other is running amuck. Although she says she is onboard with our goal to eat healthier and slim down, her actions don't always confirm her conviction.

We were at the local grocery store the other night and I lost track of her. It didn't occur to me to look in the bakery section, but after running all over the store, I ventured to the forbidden zone and there she was, smile on face, slowly floating around the baked delights breathing in the scent of fresh baked goodness. I had to speak to get her out of her trance. She had a box of mini donuts in hand and was trying to decide whether or not to buy them. As much as I wanted to talk her out of it, I really wanted to go home and when I realized that my weight loss logic wasn't working, I decided to let her make her own decision and the donuts found themselves in our grocery bags.

The next morning, I got up before my daughter and when I spotted the evil donuts lounging on the counter, I decided to protect myself and throw them in the freezer. It would be slightly inconvenient for her to defrost as required, but better that than her deciding to eat the whole container because they would only spoil if left alone.

She was surprised by my actions but understood. 

Later that evening, we attended Cirque Du Soleil - Dralion in Hamilton. Excellent show! We went to the 5:00 pm show on Sunday because I thought it would be less busy. I made sure we ate before attending so we wouldn't be tempted.

During intermission, she decided to venture upstairs on the excuse of needing a washroom. When she returned however, there was a small bag of warm, just baked, cinnamon mini donuts in her hand and a pop for us to share.

So I relented and tasted one of the donuts. That was a huge mistake. 10 or so later (each), we were down to the bottom of the bag and I started to worry about how many useless points I had just consumed. Funny how now it's important to me, but during my "weight-gaining" period, it would not have been a second thought.

But, because I screwed up on the donuts, I continued to consume sweets that evening and by the time I was ready for bed I had managed to down a medium Dairy Queen ice cream and a Twix bar. Both things, I would not normally think of doing.

So be warned of those lovable people in your family - they're the ones who will most likely sway you to partake in some extracurricular eating activities that you may not have planned on.

All I can say is Thank God for the extra Weight Watcher points!

No comments: