Monday, May 21, 2012

I Had A Dream...


Last night I had a great dream.  I always ask my mom a question before I fall asleep.  I tell her that I love her and I hope she is happy and well in the afterlife and then I ask her where she put her will.  The accountant insists that it will be easier to deal with the tax agency if I can find it but other than that, I don't really need it.

Every morning I expect to wake up with the information and each morning I feel as though I may have received something but I can't remember.

This morning I woke up with my head full of details.  It was so clear in my mind I could close my eyes and see it just like a photograph.  I'm sure it was from my mother.  Before her passing, one of our favourite topics of conversation would be about our dream kitchen.  We have talked about it since we moved into our new home 5 years ago.  

We had most of the details figured out except one area that we did not agree on and the solution came to me in my dream.  It is the best of what my mom and I had envisioned.  It was a complete melding of both of our ideas and it would be perfect!

I live in a townhouse.  The building is about 40 years old and the kitchen is quite small.  That doesn't bother me but it is closed off from the living room/dining room except for the two entrances.  Why you would need two doors into such a small space is beyond me.  My original idea was to open the kitchen completely to the dining room by removing the wall that divides it.  My mom wasn't convinced of that.

She dreamt about having a counter with upper cupboards on the other small wall that opens to the living room.  

In my dream, instead of removing the wall to the dining room, we closed the doorway in halfway up and then opened a section in the middle so that there was a generous cut out, overlooking the dining area.  A bar on the dining room side with a couple chairs and a nice bar top.  The sink would be repositioned underneath the cut out so that the dish cleaner would have something to look at.

There is a wall of counter and upper cupboards to replace the current blank wall.  The stove is closer to the fridge, where the current sink is.  Of course, the dishwasher would move under the sink or beside it.  All the cupboards, fridge, stove, and flooring would be replaced.

Task lights are strategically placed around the perimeter of the workspace so that the light is where you need it and there are separate switches so you can have them all on or just a couple.

It's white and the counter top is dark but I am not sure what material it is.  I guess I shouldn't have said that all the details were provided because I can't remember the flooring or the countertop.  However, I do remember that I have a baking area, with drawers that hold all the baking materials with additional drawers for pots and pans.

Everything has a place and it is perfect!





No comments: