Thursday, March 17, 2005

Where I've been

Sorry for the absence. I didn't want to jinx anything by writing about it ahead of time and I've been very preoccupied with the whole process since.

What am I talking about? Remember that Supervisor's competition that I had applied on back in January? The one that I thought I had failed? Well last thursday afternoon around 4:00pm, I received an email advising me that I had passed for one of the positions and my interview would be on Tuesday morning at 8:30am.

So when I felt that I had done badly, in a way I was right. I had applied for two types of supervisor positions, I failed one and passed the other. I only had to write one test for both positions and because of that, my overall feeling was one of failure.

I am still amazed that I made it this far. I was told that over 50% of the people that applied never passed the first test. The next part weeded out even more. So from the hundreds that initially applied, far less are being interviewed.

Rather than going away on the weekend to my friends to celebrate St. Paddy's day, I stayed home and prepared for the interview. The interview is where you are tested on personal suitabilities and skills and abilities. There isn't really too much you can do in the way of preparation, other than look at the qualities they want for the position and think of how you have demonstrated those qualities in the past. It was a mentally exhausting few days.

Now I just have to wait and see what the results are. I was curious about how many other people they were interviewing but they wouldn't tell me. I know that interviews are being conducted this week and next and they hope to have the process completed by the end of March. It will probably be the end of April by the time I hear anything.

It may not lead to a position, even though I have gone this far, but I already feel successful and happy that I managed to jump through this many hoops.

1 comment:

Suzy Snow said...

Thanks for your concern and for crossing everything, Jack! Every little bit helps.

I've been hiding in my apartment, staying out of trouble. ;o)