Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Upside Down or Right Side Up?

I reach for my new, cool, toothpaste, Crest Whitening Expressions Liquid Gel in Extreme Herbal Mint flavour and stop to admire the cute, compact packaging. It's small enough for a purse or pocket for those moments when you really, really want to brush but aren't at home.

Who thinks of this stuff? Not only is it small, but it's clear. I can see exactly how much toothpaste is left without getting a surprise when I am clearly not in the mood for such surprises, like when I first get up in the morning.

The piece de resistance however, is the fact that it's an upside down container. It's not a tube of toothpaste anymore. It's a small, clear, plastic bottle with green sparkly goo inside and it stands on it's head, so that the toothpaste runs happily out onto your toothbrush. No more squeezing and squeezing to force the stuff out. This toothpaste is anxious to get to work so it wants easy exit from it's holder.

Toothpaste isn't the only product that has turned from "lazy ass", to "keener". Check out your Ketchup, Mustard, Mayonaise, hell even the plum sauce is now standing upside down to make the transition from container to food quicker and easier.

It's catching on. Soon all of our liquid type, gooey products will be sporting new upside down containers. Say goodbye to the old, outdated, upright, keep-some-in-the-bottom-never-to-release bottles.

Surely we have just passed into a new era of packaging history.

2 comments:

Mick Flynn Images said...

Twice the price per kilo in fancy packaging.

Suzy Snow said...

Mark: I've never seen that movie, but now you have picqued my curiousity. Is it good? Did my post remind you of it? As far as my pic is concerned, here is a picfrom a previous post and this is that small profile pic, turned big.

Mick: I'm afraid you are right, more expensive for the fancy bottles, but I'm afraid that soon the choice will not be with us, because more and more products are being offered in only that kind of packaging. It just struck me as kind of strange the other day, all these bottles standing upside down. It would definitely confuse a time traveller. ;o)