Monday, December 13, 2004

Brown Betty

Have you ever wanted something in particular so bad that you couldn't stop thinking about it and ended up looking for it in every store you entered? I think we all get obsessive about some things during our lives.

My obsession lately was for a Brown Betty Teapot. Not just a brown teapot that I decided to call Betty, but a REAL Brown Betty Teapot from Britain.

I became acquainted with Betty as a young bride when my mother-in-law introduced me and explained all of Betty's virtues. I must admit that when she first went on and on, I probably half listened and rolled my eyes, but I did go out and buy one from our local china shop.

This china shop was an old family run business in town and it had everything that you could ever want. If you needed to buy someone a gift, you would be sure to find it there and the prices were always more than reasonable.

After buying my own Betty, I had to admit that perhaps my mother-in-law was not exaggerating about her ability to make the best cup of tea. Betty was amazing. I fell in love with her and as usual in most love relationships, I soon started to take her for granted. Clunking her quickly into the cupboard with hardly a care. It was total disregard for the precious commodity that I had.

My lapse of appreciation changed when I inadvertently broke my Betty. After years of service I had to say goodbye as I threw her pieces into the garbage pail.

No worries, I thought. I have several other, prettier teapots. In fact, I've hardly used some of them. It will be nice to see something in pink flowers for a change rather than my old brown faithful.

The tea was crap in those flighty models though. They couldn't make a cup of tea if their lives, or rather non-lives depended on it. Not only was the tea crap, but they all dribbled half of it down their spouts onto the counter, or worse on the floor.

Again the old saying "no worries" ran through my head. I will just go buy a replacement. I went to the mall the next day Christmas shopping with my mother. I kept reminding myself to pick up a Brown Betty while we were out.

Store number one - What's a Brown Betty?

Store number two - There's some brown teapots over there. (They may be brown but they were not Betty.)

Store number three - No sorry, never heard of them.

Store number four - Yes we have them. Walk over to aisle with sales clerk only to find Betty's spot empty. "Oh we usually have them. We must be sold out. Sorry."

When I returned home I decided to search for Brown Betty Teapots in Canada. To see who handles them and then I could just go to that store and pick one up. No problem, I still thought.

After an hour of searching and not coming up with anything, I found this website A Bit of Britain. They had my Brown Betty Teapot that I wanted and in three different sizes. I debated on buying them over the internet because of the exchange rate (American) and the shipping etc, but I decided to do it when I realized she wasn't as easy to get in Canada.

I made my order on Dec 2nd and received a confirmation email the next day. I received a further email on the 6th advising that they were shipped by UPS and that I should have them (I ordered two, one for me and one for a gift) in approx 10 days. They arrived today, all packaged in bubble wrap and styrofoam pieces and they were in perfect condition. I love them! I'm so happy, I can hardly wait to give it to my friend.

Tonight my new Betty made me the perfect cup of tea after work. She will not be taken for granted. I promise.

6 comments:

Mick Flynn Images said...

If you get over to my part of the world I'll treat you to a cream tea here... http://www.bettysandtaylors.co.uk/

Sal said...

Next, the best tea.

Twining's "Prince of Wales" for anytime, especially that o-so-important first cup of the day.

Twining's "Finest Keemun" (only via their shop on The Strand)(and only a smidgeon of milk) for afternoon hedonism over a jam donut or pallet of pastries.

Suzy Snow said...

Jack, I never doubted that your country makes quality things!

Mick, you've gotta date! I just hope it's before I'm 80.

and Sal, welcome to my humble abode and thank you for the tips on the tea. I'll certainly try to find some. Apparently there are a couple of good tea rooms in the area that sell some imported teas. You never know, I may be lucky.

ttt said...

Hi Shelly - glad you liked the BB so much, there is no doubt it makes the finest tea ever. I read somehwere the shaoe assists the Brownian Motion currents to operate equally thus making the flavour even. Who'd have thought anyone would look into it that much.

Howver, we Brits are also kings of that other abomination you mentioned...and that is the "teapots with the cup avoiding spout" - these primarily exist in our Motorway service stations and seem to have been approved fully by the Ministry of Crap Design because they are also usually constructed wholly of the most effficent heat conducting metal ever, so to actually get to the pouring/missing/dribbling down side of teapot stage, you also need asbestos gloves to actually pick them up! I might be inspired to do alist of things approved by the MoCD! GJ

Suzy Snow said...

Grocer Jack that is too funny. We have those damn silly metal teapots in restaurants here too. It's ridiculous, trying to have a nice cup of tea and you end up splurting it all over the table. Thanks for the laugh!

Pierette, I normally use teabags but I love loose tea. My ex mother-in-law has the nicest silver strainer to fit over your cup which makes drinking loose tea easy, of course, I haven't been able to find one of those either. I checked out a box of loose tea in Crabtree and Evelyn the other day and almost choked. It was $79.00. I'm sure it would last a long time. I would end up stashing it away and saving it for special occasions, of which there never are any, then four or five years down the road I would end up throwing it away thinking it was no good anymore. So I picked up a box of Tetley Tea at Dominion instead.

Anonymous said...

Glad I found you.Just this Am broke the lid on my BB. I am shattered, made my tea in the pot and put cozy on it anyway haha.BUT for Brits in Canad that like the BRIT TEA flavour.Buy canadian brand from New Brunwswick Canada. KING COLE. Its as close as U will get.And it is in Bags that leave NO added flavor like most bags do.
I could not live without my King Cole and have tried every US/CDn version of all the old brit brands like Typhoo, tetely etc. ALL ARE CRAP comp'd to King Cole! You can find them at SOBEYS (being a Maritime company) and at SOME Wallys in Brit dominated localities!I get mine in NIAG FALLS Ont.
Enjoy your tea.And now I need to locate a NEW BB.(sobbing and heartbroken.She has been with me many years.)