Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Home On Their Own

One of the benefits of being home during part of the daytime is the ability to watch quality television programming. One such show that is broadcast on our House and Garden Channel is a British Kid's Show called Home On Their Own.

The most startling thing about this television program is how much the children despise their parents. The second is how stupid the parents are.

I know for a fact that if I had left my daughter in charge of a makeover for "our" home, she would never have told the television producers to toss my brand new bed, knowing that it was something that I was particularly fond of.

But this is the type of crap that happens on this television program. Parents are whisked away to a nice hotel for a few days while the children dictate to the television program, what will be done to demolish everything that is sacred for their parents.

The parents then return to see what their darlings have done. The saddest display of disrespect bordering on hatred that I have ever witnessed. The worst being on national television so that not only do the parents have to endure this display, but they know that Joe Public will now know how little their children think of them.

I've watched a few of these programs because it's so unbelievable and it's like driving by a really bad car crash, you know you shouldn't look, but you can't help it. In this respect, the television program has done what it set out to do. It's obtaining viewers through the shock factor.

It just leaves me shaking my head wondering why we are raising a generation of little pukes that will ultimately be deciding our fate when they take their places as our future leaders of the world.

I believe the clue is in the reaction of the parents when the makeover is unveiled. They are so complacent and generally good hearted by the disgusting makeovers, laughing and promising to try to live with it rather than taking a baseball bat and smashing the smirks off of the devil's spawn that they call their children. (Of course I would never commit such an act of violence, but it's always good to dream.)

It's just plain scary. Scary that this is how children actually feel about the people that are providing food, shelter, clothing and every other fucking thing they want. I blame the parents for this. They are too lazy to teach their children manners, respect and basic social skills.

I'll just pray that I do not live as long as my Grandfather. I do not want to be around for another 50 years.

4 comments:

Mike Da Hat said...

I despair sometimes, there seems to be no respect for anyone or anything amongst the young. And it doesn't seem to be getting any better.IN fact it gets worse. Society is degenerating.

Suzy Snow said...

Happy to be in such good company Jack!

You're right Mike, it is degenerating and how I hope somehow it will turn around.

Mick Flynn Images said...

The parents APPLY to be on the show.........for MONEY.

Suzy Snow said...

Then they deserve whatever they get Mick. Kind of figured that they must get something for agreeing to this show.