Saturday, August 26, 2006

Tit for Tat

Part of my morning battle into work each day comprises of a race around the block to the local Tim Horton's for my Extra Large Double Double.

I started to drive out of my way so that I would be on the right side of the road which allows me to make a right hand turn into the drive-thru line up.

This line up can sometimes snake its way down Caledonia.  The people attempting to join the cue from the left are quite simply, left out.  They usually have to opt to walk in because there isn't an easy way to turn left and bud into a line up half a block long.

I learned an alternative route soon after joining this office and every day I race off the 401, south on Dufferin to Orfus, West on Orfus to Caledonia, North on Caledonia to the line up for Tim Horton's.  Quick and simple, until earlier this week.

The entrance off Caledonia was closed for construction.  The only way in was to turn right on Bentworth (a street I pass on Dufferin to get to Orfus) and drive through the parking lot to the drive thru lane.

By the second day, of having to drive past the usual entrance to the second one, I had made a decision that the next day I would turn right on Bentworth and come in that way instead.

I chuckled to myself as I left my fellow racers on Dufferin.  Suckers.  They don't realize that they can't get in that way.  See ya there!

With a smirk still on my face, I pulled my car quickly onto the lot and around the corner of the building to find a line up out the original driveway, snaking down Caledonia.

Shit.  They fixed it.  Damn.  A day too late.  To make matters worse some bitch in an SUV must have realized by the look on my face what I had done and she laughed as if to say "Ha, ha!" as she pulled her vehicle closer to the one in front of her so I couldn't sneak in.

There was an older gentleman in the vehicle behind her though and he waved at me that I could go in front of him when there was movement in the line.

It warmed my heart to realize that there are some people out there still with some manners and compassion.

"$1.58 please."

"How much is the order for the man behind me?"

"Pardon?"

"I want to pay for the man's coffee behind me, how much is it?"

"Oh, I see. It's $1.20."

"Ok, here you go!"

I retrieved my coffee and sped off chuckling about what the man would think when he went to pay and was told, "No money, that lady pay for you!"

I believe that good deeds should be rewarded in some small way and he made my day!

Thank you Gentle Stranger!

3 comments:

Candy Minx said...

You're a genius, I love it that you bought the guy his coffee...he is gonna feel like a million bucks for the whole week. I bet he tells everyone about it!

This is such a Canandian anecdote too about Ti-Ho's.

Candy Minx said...

Hey where are you? I just linked you in my twenty comments Wednesday post!

I am back in chicago and sorry I haven't been around that much but I am back to business now and so glad to be at my desk and blogging FREELY!!! Whooo Hooo!!!

Where are ya? At Ti Ho's...well I am going to pop out down the street for a coffee myself!


Cheers Suzy Snow
Candy

Suzy Snow said...

Hey Candy!

Thanks for stopping by and I apologize, I've been away on a little vacation. Will be updating soon (tomorrow, I hope!)

Cheers!