Sunday, April 10, 2005

Creative Visualization

Do you believe in Creative Visualization? I read a book about 5 years ago called Creative Visualization by Shakti Gawain. When I read the book I realized that I had practised this technique many times throughout my life but mainly as a child or young adult.

Some of my memories of using this technique are:

Creative Visualization Image - My sister and I are having a wonderful birthday party for our dolls, complete with beautiful birthday cakes with candles and the two of us singing Happy Birthday harmoniously on a glorious, sunny morning.
Reality Check - my sister and I attempting to stick lit matches into the holes of baby cookies to turn them into cakes and dropping the lit matches onto the floor, in the paper wastebasket etc. Result, entire apartment unit burned beyond recognition, loss of all personal belongings and being displaced with strangers until my parents found another place to live. Age 5 years.

Creative Visualization Image - I am a wild stallion galloping fiercely on the plains of the wild, wild west while some Indians and Cowboys either fought nearby or were attempting to capture me
Reality Check - running wildly through the playground age 6 - 10 yrs, groups of boys either fighting with each other or chasing me for some unknown terrifying reason.


Creative Visualization Image - I am the fastest runner in the world. My pigtails stand straight out when I engage my extra powerful energy into my legs. I cannot be stopped.
Reality Check - winning my first race while participating in a yearly activity in school called Field Day. Everyone had to participate in a variety of athletic competitions with prizes of ribbons awarded to the most gifted athletes. Age 6.

Creative Visualization Image - My body is lighter than air. When pushed by my legs I am able to lift myself high into the air in order to surpass the metal rod. It doesn’t matter how high they place it, I will float easily above and land softly on the fluffy mat.
Reality Check - participating in the high jump competition, placed 3rd in my age group and received a beautiful ribbon. Age 7 - 8

Creative Visualization Image - my arms are so strong that when people watch me swimming the length of the pool, my body is scarcely visible because of the splash from the water. I arrive at the end of the pool long before my competitors.
Reality Check - placed 2nd in my first swim meet for 100m freestyle competition. I chose to swim the front crawl. I never had official swimming lessons, unlike the rest of my team mates and competitors, but I loved the water and had joined the team at the beckoning of my friend. When we first arrived at the meet, I was terrified and shy but my imagination took over once I was standing on the edge of the pool with the others waiting to hear the whistle. Age 12.

Creative Visualization Image - I’m making dinner in my own kitchen and I’m very happy. My husband is outside working around the yard. The sun is shining, the house is very happy and warm. Marriage is as wonderful as I could possibly have imagined.
Reality Check - that weekend, my ex-boyfriend who I imagined as my husband, met up with me by coincidence and offered to give me a ride back to Toronto on the back of his motorcycle after not speaking to me for 6 months. We reunited, later married and stayed together 14 years. It was not the happy marriage of my dreams, but part of it came true. I was married and I was always in the kitchen. Age 18.

Creative Visualization Image I’m working at an Insurance company in my town. Each week I receive my huge paycheque and go out to buy nice new dresses to wear to work each day. My co-workers are great and we become close like a family. I love to go to work each and every day.
Reality Check - I was chosen out of hundreds of applicants as the newest employee of that insurance company. The pay was better than most jobs in town and I did become very close with my co-workers. The nice new dresses didn’t happen as often as I imagined but that position did help afford a better lifestyle than I had been living prior to it. Age 18.

I’m dreaming of being independently wealthy with several handsome suitors, that are only to happy to be at my beck and call. Life is very good and success comes easy. I’ll let you know when it happens.

5 comments:

Mike Da Hat said...

I'm the greatest guitarist of all time playing the biggest stadiums. I have fans and groupies and after a gig we have wild parties. I get to shag a lot.
The reality: I play guitar in pubs and go home alone for a nice cup of tea. oh yeah and remind me what a shag is?

Lionel said...

It's a seabird, Mike, the common name for the Phalacrocorax aristotelis.

Brom said...

Strangely enough I'm also the greatest guitarist of all time, I have fans and groupies and after a gig we have wild parties. I get to shag a lot.
The reality: I have no band, I do not perform in pubs so I have to play with myself in the spare bedroom instead. But the tea is good.

Suzy Snow said...

Mike - I know you really are a great guitarist, and I'm your groupie...not sure who you have sex with though.

Em2 - you realize you are jeopardizing the quality programming of this blog with your intelligent answers! hehehehe, smartie pants.

Brom - I know you too are a great guitarist and yes I'm one of your groupies as well. Of course, not the kind that has sex with you, just one that admires your music. :o)

Mick Flynn Images said...

How do you telll the difference between a Cormorant and a Shag?




You can always find a Cormorant in Scotland.