Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Trailer Park Girls...

Deb and I are sitting at this lovely turquoise painted picnic table enjoying a rowdy game of Gin Rummy.

After calling my mother to get the rules of play, we dealt the cards and the laughter began.

I want to listen to Bob Marley but Debbie doesn't.  We have to find a common ground on the music or the afternoon sun and glow from the alcohol will be lost.

"When was the last time you sat outside at a picnic tableon a sunny Thursday afternoon playing cards?"

"Honestly Shel?  I can't even remember."

"Neither can I!  This is absolutely perfect!"

"Turn up the music when you're inside getting our drinks!"

We have settled on CCR.

The drink is Coconut Rum and Diet Fresca with Cherry - Superb!

It doesn't take long to go through half a bottle of rum.  I decide to finish the rest of my wine from last night.  Not too sure what the next drink will be but I'm thinking it will be Vodka and Diet Coke with Lime.

When Debbie's friend from work heard that we were contemplating on spending a couple of days in Southampton, she graciously offered her trailer in Sauble Beach which is just an 8 min drive down the highway from Southampton.  This has turned out to be a very inexpensive mini vacation.  Other than our food and beverages, the cost is only $10.00 per guest.

The trailer park is Carson's and it is very beautiful.  I'm surprised at how big the park is and pride of ownership is evident with the neatly manicured sites.  This isn't "The Trailer Park Boys".

Eight hands later, the score is 91 to 71 for me and Debbie has grown weary of the game.  We move to lawn chairs, which we position so that we are catching every ray of sunlight possible.

We are now listening to a jukebox CD that was sent to me from Mick in the UK as part of a music exchange with fellow bloggers last year, or was it the year before?  I can't remember now, but the music is perfect for this sunny afternoon.

I am completely satisfied with my life in this moment.  It's perfect.  The heat from the sun, good drink, wonderful music, what more could a person ask for?  I lean my head back against the back of the chair and close my eyes.  The sound of the wind blowing through the leaves transports me back to another time and place.  I'm laying on the hammock in my grandparent's yard sleeping on a sunny, summer afternoon.

I'm really happy that I made the decision to take two weeks off.  I was debating on whether I should or not because I did not have any concrete plans, but my body was telling me that I needed to escape the stress of everyday work life to recoup.

It's turned out to be a very relaxed yet interesting little break.  I've enjoyed trailer life, cottage life and time at home in between.

Now it's back to my normal routine except that I am making a promise to myself not to stay at work late everynight.  It's not good.  It doesn't get you anywhere and the only thing that I seem to get out of working so much are bigger bags under my eyes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

marie c sterna