Saturday, October 08, 2005

In Another Life, I Was A Home



This is an abandoned house that I stopped to explore on my way home from my mini vacation in September. It is located on the North side of Hwy 26 in between Stayner and Barrie, Ontario. I have driven by this house so many times over the years that I can't even estimate the number, but this is the first time I have ever pulled over and inspected it further.

I'm not sure what the lure is for me to old buildings, but I love them. I like to stand quietly within their walls and imagine what may have transpired over the many, many years. The happy, sad and angry times. How many people lived there? Was it always in the same family or did the house provide comfort to many different families before someone shut the door for the last time and walked away, never looking back, leaving it to rot.

I think that is what I find most curious. What reason was there to abandon the house and just leave it there? Where are the owners? I know that one day it will be gone and most likely will not even be missed as the billboards take over the spot where it once stood. Click on the images below to see full size.

















1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG Sissy - you are so much braver than me. What a wonderful photo op that was, just waiting to be taken!

I can almost hear the walls whispering their memories to me right through these photos.

(Hugs)

~Pierette